Saturday, August 28, 2010

Melanie

If you live in the Phoenix area or are Catholic, you may know of Melanie Pritchard. She speaks around the country to all different age groups about life, chastity and on many other wonderful lessons for Catholics.

A montho ago today, she gave birth to a beautiful little girl, Gabriella Cecilia. She did this at the hospital where I work, a Catholic hospital, Mercy Gilbert Medical Center. She did this wonderful act of love and almost lost her life in the process. Something rare happened to her where her heart stopped during delivery.

Long story short (here's a link to read more: Melanie Pritchard), she survived...miraculously. Doctors and nurses don't know how it happened because you don't normally walk away from something like this...ever. But she did. And it was the power of prayer. Mom and baby are doing very well.

This past week, Melanie, Doug (her husband) and baby Gabriella came back to Mercy Gilbert Medical Center to thank everyone who played a part in her care (read article here). My manager attended and when she recounted the story, tears were all over my face. I can't imagine coming to the hospital for the most beautiful occasion ever, to have a baby, and not know whether you are going to live.

Their story is amazing and I want to thank Melanie for being who she is in her Catholic faith. She is an example to myself and many others of how your faith can truly carry you through the hardest times.

During her thanks, a man walked up to her and said, 'Hi, my name is Vince...I performed your CPR.' When my Manager recanted that portion, I just sobbed. To think that this guy would be so normal about his every day job in scenarios like this. If you ever meet Vince, Respiratory Therapist at MGMC, you will see what I am talking about. The kindest, gentlest soul I know. He is a great man, but what he did for Melanie...just his every day job as far as he sees.

No comments: